How Much Do Medical Laboratory Technologists Make in Canada? My 9-Year Experience

 If you are considering becoming a Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT) in Canada, one of the first questions you probably have is:

How much can you actually make?

There are plenty of salary websites that give you an average number, but I always found those numbers a little difficult to relate to.

What does an MLT actually make when they first start working? How much does the salary increase with experience? And can an experienced MLT really make close to $100,000 a year?

I've been working as a Medical Laboratory Technologist in a Canadian hospital for about 9 years, so I thought I'd share what my experience has actually been like.

Disclaimer: The wage figures in this article are based on the OPSEU collective agreement that applied to my workplace in Ontario, with wage rates effective April 2024. Actual compensation varies depending on employer, collective agreement, shift premiums, overtime, and other factors.


Starting salary: around $70,000

When I first started working as an MLT, my hourly wage was around $31/hour.

Now in 2026, MLTs are actually starting at a higher wage, at $36/hour.

At first, $36/hour sounds pretty good. But when you calculate it as an annual salary, it's not quite as high as it might initially seem.

At my workplace, a regular workday is 8 hours, but there is a 30-minute unpaid break. So I am paid for 7.5 hours per workday.

That works out to:

7.5 paid hours × 5 days = 37.5 paid hours per week

I receive pay every two weeks, based on 75 paid hours per pay period.

So, using the starting wage of $36/hour as an example:

$36 × 75 hours × 26 pay periods = $70,200/year

That puts the starting base salary at around $70,000 per year.

Of course, this is a simplified calculation and doesn't include things like shift premiums or overtime.


Your hourly wage can increase quite a bit with experience

One thing I like about working under a collective agreement is that your wage steadily goes up yearly for 8 years according to the wage grid.

According to the wage grid that applied to my position, the hourly rate increased with experience, eventually reaching approximately $50/hour at around the 8-year mark.

That makes a pretty big difference.

At $50/hour:

$50 × 75 hours × 26 pay periods = $97,500/year

So just looking at the regular base wage, an experienced MLT can get surprisingly close to $100,000 CAD per year.

And that's before considering shift premiums or overtime.


What did I actually make?

My own experience looked roughly like this:

Career stageApprox. hourly wageApprox. base annual salary
Starting MLT$36/hr~$70,200
Experienced MLTUp to ~$50/hr~$97,500

In reality, my annual income was in the $70,000 range when I first started and eventually reached the $90,000 range as I gained experience.

So when people ask me whether an MLT in Canada can make $100K, my answer is:

Yes, it's possible — but it's not a starting salary.

It takes years of experience to reach the higher end of the wage scale, and your actual income will depend on your work schedule as well.


What about evening, night and weekend shifts?

This is where things get a little more interesting.

Hospitals don't operate on a typical Monday-to-Friday, 9-to-5 schedule. Depending on the department and position, MLTs may work:

  • Day shifts
  • Evening shifts
  • Night shifts
  • Weekends
  • Statutory holidays

Depending on the collective agreement, working less desirable shifts can come with additional premiums.

That means two MLTs with the exact same base hourly wage could end up with different annual incomes depending on how much evening, night, or weekend work they do.

For someone who works a significant number of evening or night shifts, these premiums can make a noticeable difference over the course of a year.


Overtime can change the numbers too

Overtime is another factor.

There are times when hospital departments need additional coverage, and MLTs may have opportunities to work extra hours.

Overtime rates depend on the applicable collective agreement and the circumstances of the overtime, so I wouldn't use one universal number here.

But the basic idea is simple:

Base salary + shift premiums + overtime = actual annual income

That's why looking only at an hourly wage doesn't always tell you how much an MLT actually makes in a year.


So, can an MLT in Canada make $100,000?

Yes.

At approximately $50/hour, the regular base salary works out to about:

$97,500 CAD/year

And that's before additional income from applicable shift premiums and overtime.

So an experienced MLT getting close to or exceeding $100,000 CAD in annual income is certainly possible in some hospital positions.

However, I wouldn't want someone reading this to think that every MLT in Canada makes $100K.

There are huge differences depending on:

  • Province
  • Employer
  • Union/collective agreement
  • Years of experience
  • Full-time vs. part-time status
  • Shift schedule
  • Overtime opportunities

The numbers I'm sharing are specifically based on my own experience working in an Ontario hospital.


Is MLT actually a high-paying career?

After doing this job for almost 9 years, I wouldn't describe MLT as a "high-paying" career in the same way that some highly specialized professions are.

But I do think it can be a stable and relatively predictable career path.

You may start around the $70K range, but your earning potential can increase substantially as you gain experience.

For me, the progression from approximately $70K to the $90K range over the course of my career has been one of the positive aspects of the job.

And salary isn't the only thing to consider.

Depending on the employer and position, there can also be benefits such as:

  • Pension
  • Extended health benefits
  • Vacation
  • Shift premiums
  • Overtime opportunities
  • Union representation

These can make the overall compensation package more attractive than looking at the base salary alone.


My biggest takeaway after 9 years

If you're thinking about becoming an MLT, I wouldn't look only at the starting salary.

Look at the whole salary progression.

When I started, I was making around $36/hour and earning in the $70K range.

Several years later, the hourly wage had increased significantly, and my annual income was in the $90K range.

I didn't start this career thinking, "I'm going to make almost $100K someday."

But after almost nine years, that's where the career progression took me.

So if you're considering MLT as a career, I think one of the more useful questions isn't just:

"How much does an MLT make?"

It's:

"How much could I realistically be making after 5, 8, or 10 years?"

That's a much better way to look at the career.


Quick summary

Starting wage: ~$36/hour
Starting base salary: ~$70K/year
Experienced wage: up to ~$50/hour
Base salary at $50/hour: ~$97,500/year
My actual experience: ~$70K initially → ~$90K range with experience
Shift premiums: Additional, depending on schedule and agreement
Overtime: Additional, depending on circumstances

Source: OPSEU collective agreement applicable to my workplace, wage rates effective April 2024.

This article describes my personal experience and is not intended to represent the compensation of every MLT in Canada.

Comments