Life working as an MLT in Canada | What Does a Medical Laboratory Technologist Actually Do in Canada?

My Experience as an MLT

When people think about working in a hospital in Canada, doctors and nurses are usually the first professions that come to mind. But hospitals actually rely on people from many different healthcare professions working behind the scenes.

One of those professions is Medical Laboratory Technologist, or MLT, which is what I have been doing for the past 8 years and a bit.

But when someone asks me, “What exactly does an MLT do?” it can be surprisingly difficult to explain.

Sometimes people ask,

“Are you the person who draws blood?”

Or they assume,

“Do you just look at blood under a microscope?”

The reality is that MLTs do much, much more than that.

I have been working in a Canadian hospital for about nine years and have experienced many different types of laboratory testing and situations. I currently work primarily in Hematology.

So rather than giving you the typical “What is an MLT?” explanation you can easily find online, I want to talk about the reality of being an MLT from the perspective of someone who has actually worked in a hospital for years.


What Is the Salary Like?

MLT salaries in Canada can vary depending on the province, workplace, hospital, years of experience, union and pay structure, shift premiums, and other factors.

Because of that, it is difficult to give one number and simply say, “This is how much an MLT makes.”

I plan to write a separate post about this in more detail, including actual pay structure, shift premiums, overtime, and how salary can change with experience.

If you are considering a healthcare career in Canada, I think it is important to look beyond the base salary and consider the entire compensation package:

Base salary + benefits + pension + overtime + shift premiums + working hours

These can make a significant difference when evaluating a job.


Who Is an MLT Career a Good Fit For?

In my experience, this career tends to be a good fit for people who are:

  • Detail-oriented

  • Able to stay focused during repetitive tasks

  • Interested in science and biology

  • Enjoy solving problems

  • Comfortable working both independently and as part of a team

  • Able to stay calm when unexpected situations arise

  • Someone who values accuracy and consistency

The Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) also highlights skills such as scientific knowledge, critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, and quality management as important competencies for MLTs.


What I'll Be Sharing on This Blog

Going forward, I want to write about the things I have actually experienced while working as an MLT in Canada.

I'll also be sharing more realistic aspects of life as a working professional in Canada, including living expenses, money, work life, and everyday life in Toronto.

Rather than simply repeating information that is easy to find online, I want this blog to focus on the things that someone with real experience can actually tell you.


Comments